Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

When the Realization Hits

I was just reading one of the blogs I follow, called Chronic Connection and I wanted so very much to comment and for whatever reason, I cannot seem to get Blogger to understand that I am the owner of this blog and one other as it will not let me through. So if you read this, please know that I may not be able to comment on some of your blogs.



Anyway, back to what I started this post about. I was reading about how scary it is to realize that this chronic pain and all the extras that go with it (fatigue, depression, insomnia, etc.) has "become" my life. It is what I will be looking at every single day for the rest of my life. Getting up and knowing within an hour whether this is going to be a good day or a bad day.



I have had a diagnosed case of fibromyalgia for 2 1/2 years now and I guess you could say I am forever hopeful that one day I will wake up and this nightmare will be gone.



I started getting this debilitating pain when I was caring for my terminally ill mother back in 2007, but I realize now that anything out of the ordinary daily routine for me will cause this pain to worsen. It might be too much use of my legs or arms or skipping a few weeks of my exercises and then going back to them, or it could be things out of my control that affect my emotions.

Right now it is a sprained foot that has pulled me down and wreaking havoc on my fibromyalgia pain. Sitting all day and doing very little walking is making the pain so much worse for me. So I guess you could say that consistent exercise really does make you feel better.

I woke up yesterday and felt like I was a new person. I had 8 full hours of sleep and was nearly pain free except for my foot, which doesn't count. I have no idea why all of a sudden I seem better, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Today I am alert, energetic and ready for the day and even plan to go to my grandson's class and deliver 24 Easter cupcakes that I made last night.

Having this chronic illness is like living the life of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. You never know which one you are going to be until each new day arrives. But I will tell you this; I am taking full advantage of the "good" days as I have no idea how many I may have left.

Until next time :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so don't enjoy it when Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde come to visit! I think I want to ban them for life! LOL

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to know that there are others out there that deal with constant pain. Your strength is really giving me a boost this morning, so I thank you!

Christine Burgess said...

If I can help anyone I am very happy. Thanks for letting me know MBOI.