Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Craft Show Bomb

In my last post I talked about getting ready for my very first craft show and was wondering how I would do it with my fibromyalgia.

Well, let me tell you, it wasn't easy.  First of all the show was a complete bust, not only for me, but all the crafters as there were few shoppers throughout the 2 days.  We were lucky if 1,000 people passed through.

 Second, I was so bored and so fidgety sitting for such long periods of time that I thought I might lose my mind.  I walked around and looked at all the crafts and talked with various people.  I took short walks around outside, but the temp was in the 90's and very humid so that didn't last long.  I even went so far as to go to the car and take a short nap to relieve the boredom as my husband manned the booth.

By the time the day was finally over I could barely walk I was so stiff from inactivity.  For me the worst is sitting or standing for long periods of time.  Ask me to walk anywhere and I'm good to go.  It's funny how this illness affects each of us.  My sister-in-law can sit for hours on end but can barely walk anywhere.

So, for me, the craft shows are not the thing to do.  If it weren't for my wonderful husband volunteering to work it on Sunday I honestly don't know what I would have done as I am sure it would have set me back physically to sit there another full day.

Maybe it was a good thing the show was such a bomb because now I don't feel the least bit concerned that I might be able to make some good money doing them.

I suppose the advertising (or lack of it) in addition to the poor economy had a lot to do with the turnout and maybe another show would be a completely different ball game, but I will never know because this will be my last.

As I mentioned in a post on my other blog, the good news is that my inventory is up for Christmas so I can't really complain.

Until next time :)

3 comments:

Debbee said...

I'm right there with you on the walking is better then inactivity. I too have a lot of pain after I have been sitting or standing idle for a period of time. I went through a program for Fibromyalgia and learned a trick for the releiving stiffness from standing idle, Rocking between feet. I as new grandmaother I can now relate it to the way you rock when you are hold a baby, shifting your weight. I really works because that is what I do at work to keep myseklf for getting to stiff after 3 hour on my feet. As for your craft show,
I realize that the ecomony is horrible but sometime craft show just don't have the turn out they should. I have done several and they are hit and miss. I have 2 planned for November and hope all goes well. The best thing about doing craft shows is I LOVE meeting the women who also love to craft. If the booth fee gets paid for with a fee sales then I almost call it even since I have had the chance to socialize with others. My world has gotten smaller since I have been dealing with Fibro.
Keep your chin up,
Your Fellow Fibro Suffer,
Debbee

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Sorry your show was a bust. AND glad your Hubby was able to man the booth for you on the Sunday. What would we do without them :)

I have a few shows coming up and I have no clue how I am going to get everything ready let alone work them, the silly things we do to ourselves.

But like Debbee says it is so great to meet others :)

Have a lovely evening, T. :)

Christine Burgess said...

Thanks so much for your comments.

I sure hope you have a much better showing than I did, T@Poppy Place.

And thanks for the tip, Bee Chick