Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Allergies or Fibromyalgia?

I still get the rolling eyes (or so it seems ) when I go to a new doctor and tell them I suffer from fibromyalgia.  I recently visited an allergist for the first time in 15 years because my allergies are beginning to seriously tread on my lifestyle and I want to know once and for all if I am allergic to wheat or dairy, among other foods.

I explained to the doctor that it's difficult for me to tell whether it's allergies, the fibromyalgia or just the fact that I am tired when it feels like a cloud has come over me smack in the middle of the day and I am so sleepy that I can barely function.  One minute I seem fine and literally the next I am looking for a place to lie down.

When I first researched some of the symptoms of fibromyalgia I learned that sufferers often have foggy-headiness, sleepy or tired feelings, and sleep disorders, which are some of the same symptoms of serious allergies.

When my allergies are at an all time high it literally wakes me up in the middle of the night because my throat, nose and eyes are so dry that I can't sleep.  I get out of bed and immediately put Visine in my eyes, saline in my nose and grab a drink of water.  This is happening even with a humidifier in my room.  I am sure this interrupted sleep isn't helping me feel very alert the next day, but I don't have to have this kind of thing happen to still experience a the wave of sleepiness come over me from time to time.

So which is it that is causing these overwhelming feelings of sleepiness?  The fibromyalgia, the allergies or the fact that my night of sleep isn't as restful as I thought it was.

I have mentioned this numerous times in my posts that sufferers of fibromyalgia can have a difficult time getting a good rest because the pain lingers on through the night.  It may not be enough to actually wake you, but it's there nonetheless and can become quite a problem if it persists.

I will be tested for allergies on the 29th of this month so I am anxious to see what might be causing my "obvious" symptoms but I'm not sure that will help me much with the other problems I am having.

One thing at a time, I guess, is the best way to approach this.

Until next time :)

No comments: