Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Positive Attitude Pays Off

Keeping a positive attitude about life certainly has helped me in dealing with fibromyalgia. Just like stress can enhance the pain, a positive approach to your life can help to minimize it.


I try to have a plan for each day and never make the list so long that I fail before I start. I have had a mosaic business online now for a little over a year and recently opened 2 new shops so I could easily overwhelm myself and plan too much, but I have learned that when I do that I usually struggle with more pain just before bedtime.

I can't say enough about the correlation of stress and fibromyalgia. If you have any control over the stresses in your life it would behoove you to try and work it out. Don't take on too much and don't feel you have to say yes every time someone asks for something. This can seriously upset your positive attitude. Taking on too much isn't healthy for anyone, but especially fibromyalgia sufferers because it already takes extra energy from your body when you are in constant pain and can zap your strength rapidly.

It took me years to learn to say no when someone needed a volunteer or asked me to do something for them. I am telling you from experience that it is a much less stressful life if you only do the things you really "want" to do and save the other things for other people. I do realize there are things in life that we can't avoid, but that is not what I am talking about here.

There will be days when you feel worse than other days (that is a known fact with fibromyalgia patients) and when those times come just remember that it won't last and give yourself a break. Try to take it easy on those days if you can and rebuild your strength. I think we learn that more and more as we grow older because there are other "parts" that don't work as well as they used to so we have figured out ways to work around it.

When we have a positive attitude about our lives it gives us reason to press on. I truly believe that every situation that life throws us is an opportunity to learn something. Life really is all about the journey, not the end result.

1 comment:

JournoMich said...

I admire your attitude and agree with you totally.

Michele
Do Beautiful Things