Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Listening In

I was at my chiropractor's office and in one of his waiting rooms when I overheard a conversation about fibromyalgia.

Now, I don't eavesdrop as a general rule, but the layout of his rooms leaves an 18" or so gap at the top of the common walls so I may as well have been in the room with them.

His patient was asking him what he thought about being diagnosed with fibromyalgia at the tender age of 21 and his comments concerned me. He told her that he thought that fibromyalgia is overly diagnosed for just about anyone in pain and that it sets them up to fears that are unfounded. He said that it is proven not to be muscular-skeletal so it's hard to treat, which is true. What is confusing is that I have seen it lumped in with Lupus, Chronic Fatigue, Diabetes and the like as a very serious illness.

I guess I just don't choose to see it that way. To me it is just an obstacle in the way of what I want to do sometimes and I have to learn to pick and choose what I can and can't do or suffer the consequences.

If it really doesn't affect our muscles and it primarily a neurotransmitter that's gone haywire, why would it be in league with lupus and other diseases that actually do attack you physically.
Fibromyalgia certainly feels like physical pain but our muscles aren't really overused so it's a bit confusing.

The patient was talking about her 21 yr old nephew and she couldn't believe he could have fibromyalgia so she wanted an opinion. I am sure for some people this diagnosis could have serious repercussions especially if they have an attitude of giving up.

We just can't give up. What we have to do is find another avenue that works for us. There is always a silver lining on the other side if we journey long enough to find it.

Even in the depression I have been experiencing I look for life lessons because I believe there is a reason for everything. It doesn't necessarily make it any easier but at least I can tell myself that things will get better.

Until next time :)

No comments: