Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What is Depression?

What is depression?
The actual definition of depression is:  a mental state characterized by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity.

 
For some, it's a feeling of hopelessness and despair that can't be defined by a specific situation.  They know the normal activities that used to give them joy no longer holds any interest for them and much of the time they would rather just sleep. I would suppose this type of depression might be caused by ongoing problems or feelings that haven't been resolved.

Then there is the situational depression.  This one comes and goes with life's ups and downs.

I know for me much of my depression comes from not being in control of things and people that affect my life.  If my kids do something really foolish, there is really little I can do but stand on the sidelines as they are all adults and have to make their own way in the world.  You can offer advise or opinions but it's really up to them whether they choose to heed it.  It can be heartbreaking to watch and if it happens often enough you can spiral downward.  It feels like being trapped. 

For others it could be a relative that insinuates themselves in your life and makes you miserable.  Sometimes it has to do with how well things are going at work.  These are all factors that you may have little control over and it can get downright frustrating and lead to depression.

 Of course, financial worries can certainly make one depressed, but again, I think it's more about not having any way to change things that truly cause the depression and not the fact that money is tight or nonexistent.  If you can think of a way to change things or come up with some sort of a plan then you have a way out, but if it is out of your control then you can become depressed.

Many of us who have a chronic illness that affects our daily lives can find ourselves depressed from time to time.  It can be the illness itself that keeps us from doing what we would like to do or it could be the constant lack of understanding of family and friends, or a combination of both.  I know that there are times when I get down if I think about having fibromyalgia on a large scale.  You know, when you realize this is how it's going to be for the rest of your life and you have to learn to adjust constantly.

Each of us have our own way of dealing with our illness and each of us has limitations we must learn to live with.  I truly believe that if we can just keep our attitude as positive as we can and not allow circumstance to alter our day, then we have a winning chance of leading the best life we can.

I read. Lots.  This is my way of dealing with whatever comes my way.  Currently I am reading a book written by Max Lucado called "Fearless, What Your Life Would Be Like Without Fear" and it has helped me tremendously.  My faith is the most important part of my life and sometimes when I get down I forget their is someone greater than me that is always there.

I hope that you will seek help if you find you are experiencing abnormal depression.  Don't let it take one more day of your life from you.

Until next time :)

1 comment:

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Hi, found you in the forums on Etsy. I too am a long time Fibro/CFS sufferer and yep, it is going to make you depressed from time to time. T. :)