Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Savella Not For Me

I was supposed to keep a daily diary of being on Savella, a fairly new drug to the fibromyalgia world, but I really didn't like the side effects it had on me so I opted to quit taking it and start on some St. Johns Wart from my local drug store.

The Savella is a bit of a bugger to be on as you are to eat a full breakfast before taking it and I am just not a breakfast person. On top of that I take Tramadol for pain and the net sites I visited to research Savella led me to believe these 2 are not to be mixed. That was a bit alarming as my doctor prescribed both for me at my last appt.

The side effects were just a feeling of being unfocused and tired. I already deal with that anyway so the added problem wasn't for me. Usually once I take the Tramadol in the morning the first several hours of the day are pretty good so being tired by 11 am was not working.

I don't know if my doctor will like this choice, but I know my body and I would rather deal with the depression my way.

It's been tough and I don't feel like doing anything constructive. My mosaic has sat on my work table for over a week now and I can't seem to get into it so I don't push the issue or I will just make mistakes.

I have been reading my bible and doing a lot of soul searching and praying to find out what is in store for me and what direction I should go next. I even played a game of spider solitaire on the computer which is something I haven't done in over a year as my online business uses up all my time on the computer for the most part.

So much has changed in my life over the last year that I think the grieving and accepting will take some time.

I still plan to keep plugging away here on this blog and will post any news I hear regarding research on fibromyalgia as I always have my ear to the ground on that front.

Until next time :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My natural doctor told me that in order to get a therapeutic result from St. John's Wort you want to be taking 450-900 mg. I take the lower doses when I need it. 900 was a bit much for me.

Anyway, I thought that might help you.

I hope your depression lifts soon and you get to experience sunshine for a while.

Christine Burgess said...

Thanks so much Dominique. I am taking 900 a day right now and will see how it goes. I just feel better using a natural solution so I am hoping it works. I do feel better, but my situation is up and down so I am a bit up and down with it.