Fibromyalgia is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Phantom and Fibro

My husband bought tickets to see "The Phantom of the Opera" in Orlando for our 21st wedding anniversary and I was very excited to go, but knew that all that sitting (the drive to Orlando and the show itself) had to be done in doses. It's really the pits to have to always plan your life around your pain, but that is what it has come to for me and I am sure for many others.

We went up the morning of the show and planned to stay overnight, mostly because we didn't want to drive home at 11pm, not so much because of the sitting, however, it did help to have the hotel 10 minutes away.

Anyway, I planned in advance to take my pain meds with me so that I could take them at the intermission. I asked my husband to remind me to take them and then I put them in my pill box that I carry at all times in my purse (I have one in each of my two everyday purses).
Well, Ralph reminded me at the break and we worked our way through the crowd to find the drinking fountain and sure enough I forgot to transfer them to my evening bag.

That is what is so crazy. I took the pill box out of the regular purse and put my pills in it and had my evening bag right there on the hotel table and spaced it out or something and ended up putting them back in my regular bag.

So about 15 minutes into the second half of the show I started aching in my hips and had to keep readjusting my position in the chair. It always makes me feel like a fidgety little kid, but I honestly cannot sit still when my hips and legs start aching. I enjoyed seeing the play very much but it would have been better if I could have gotten through it without the distraction.

What is scary is how much of this is the fibro fog and how much of it is getting older??


Here's another story about getting older. Humorous, but a little scary.

I think I told everyone on Chris' Comments about the time my husband left the car running with the keys in the car and the doors unlocked while we and our friends had dinner in a restaurant nearby.
He was so distracted by the conversation with our neighbors that he literally spaced the fact that he didn't take the keys out of the ignition and on top of that he left the car running!!
It was announced in the restaurant that a blue car was left running in the parking lot and it NEVER occurred to us that it was our car. In fact we were all laughing about how could anyone do something like that.

Well, he did this again the other day when we stopped to go grocery shopping. We were talking about something as he parked and he wasn't paying attention.

Now, don't ask me how he could do this not once, but twice because I am having a hard time imaging ever doing that at all, but you never know.

No comments: